Parenting requires a lot of carrying, if you are not carrying the baby you are probably carrying something your some of your baby needs.
Wont it be great to have something to haul both your baby and other items around?
Umbrella strollers are some of the most common strollers, this comprehensive review will help you pick the best umbrella stroller for you and your baby.
If you live in a major city, you probably know the importance of an umbrella stroller. It earned the name umbrella stroller since it folds up to a lightweight. Umbrella strollers are of lower cost compared to the full feature strollers.
Best Umbrella Stroller Reviews 2017
As a parents you want to get the best stroller for your kid, and the increased variety in the market may make it challenging for one to differentiate the best from the basic. These products round up will state some of the top umbrella stroller worthy of your consideration.
Keep in mind there is no one size fit all umbrella stroller, our aim is to provide you with as much detailed baby stroller reviews as possible to help you find the stroller that suit your needs.
1. Summer Infant 3Dlite Review – Stylish and Durable
Summer Infant 3DLite stroller is one very durable, stylish and lightweight umbrella stroller you can get for your baby. The child can use this stroller right from six months until they weigh 50 pounds.
It is popular for its affordable price.
One thing that makes it outstanding is its lightweight and packed with a lot of features.
The 3D Lite Stroller has a large compact seat that helps one to easily navigate through confined spaces and around crowds without your baby feeling the maneuvering. This stroller is fold-able with one-hand making it adaptable for use for busy parents.
Some major features of the Summer Infant 3D Lite Stroller below;
- Colour Options: This stroller comes in many colours. Parents have the freedom to choose from the six beautiful colours which include Citrus, Orange, Hibiscus Pink, Caribbean Blue, Tropical Green and Black.
- Multiple Reclining Positions: Summer Infant 3Dlite Convenience Stroller can be reclined in various positions helping babies get maximum comfort.
- Canopy: The canopy of the umbrella stroller is adjustable, and it is angled to fit any situation. You can also remove it when not in use.
- Easy to Maneuver: Fabricated out of sturdy and lightweight aluminium frame that ensures easy maneuvering and portability. The aluminium is also durable and will stay for quite a long time.
- Folding Ability: The Summer Infant 3Dlite Convenience Stroller can be folded and unfolded easily. It does not take a lot of time for you to get it ready when getting out of the house. It will fold flatly, and thus you will not have any trouble to put it in the car backseat, trunk or the store.
- Sun Visor: This umbrella stroller has a flip-out sun visor that adds protection.
- Carry Strap: The stroller comes with carrying straps that are detachable to enable easy transportation.
- Cup holder: The baby stroller has a cup holder where you can put a baby bottle or your drink to sip as you push along.
- Storage basket: The 3D lite stroller has a storage basket that can be used to hold other paraphernalia, baby toys, diapers e.t.c.. You can use the rear storage pocket to hold your cell phone or purse while pushing around.
- Safety Harness: The seat in the umbrella stroller is fitted with a 5- point harness and three height harness. This ensures that the toddler is safe at all times and adjustable to various height or size of your baby.
- Brakes: The stroller has two parking brakes that are manually activated, and this adds to the security.
- Lockable Wheels: The anti-shock front wheels and lockable rear wheels provide a smoother ride. It also adds on to the safety of the stroller.
2. ZOE Umbrella XL1 Single Stroller Review – Best for Quick Trips
It has an aluminum frame that makes them stable and durable. A good option for parents looking for a lightweight umbrella stroller.
People who have used it before recommended it mainly because of its ease to push around with even with one hand. It can stand on its own when folded.
The wheels do not touch the canopy then folded, and this gives it a plus in hygiene.
The stroller is customizable. You can customize and personalize it by buying additional combinations and colors to your liking. The shoulder straps and wheel cups can be removed and added easily and quickly.
Some of the best features of the ZOE Umbrella XL1 Stroller below;
- Quick One Hand Fold: You only need a single hand to fold the Zoe stroller. You can do the folding quite easily and quickly. The only thing you are required to do is to pull the strap in the middle of the stroller it will fold instantly and stand on its own.
- Ultra-light Weight: The strollers has a weight of 10 pounds which makes it quite amazing. The stroller frame is made of durable lightweight aluminum.
- Stroller Accessories: Umbrella strollers come with a variety of accessories, but in most cases, they are add-on. This means that you have to pay for them. The good thing about the ZOE stroller is that the accessories are included in the purchase of the stroller saving on additional cost of accessories.
- Lifetime Warranty on Wheels: The ZOE Umbrella XL1 Single Stroller comes with a lifetime warranty on the wheels. Remember that the first thing that gets worn out on strollers are its wheels.
- 50 Pounds Weight Capacity: A stroller with a high capacity is most recommended since you can use it even when the baby has grown older and heavier. It is an amazing feature that these 10-pound strollers have a capacity of 50 pounds.
- Accessible Storage Basket: The stroller has a storage basket that one can access quite easily. You can use this storage for other essential items.
- Adjustable Seat: The Zoe stroller seat is adjustable, and it can tilt up to 135 degrees. This ensures your baby will remain comfortable at all times even when taking a nap.
- Sizable Sunshade Canopy: This stroller has one of the most amazing canopies. It has an XL1 deluxe model that offers a more coverage compared to the other types of canopies.
- Travel Bag: It comes along with a travel bag that makes it easy for transportation. One of its outstanding design feature.
- Compact Folding: The ZOE Umbrella XL1 Single Stroller is said to fit in the overhead compartments in an airplane. The stroller becomes self-standing as soon as you fold it.
- 5 Point Harness: The stroller has a 5 point harness to keep the baby secure at all times.
- Lockable wheels and Front Swivel: The Zoe stroller has lockable back wheels for additional security and front swivels that helps one to maneuver more easily.
3. Disney Umbrella Stroller with Canopy – Super Lightweight and Portable
Though not sure of the connection between the Disney Brand and this stroller.
The design is simple and super lightweight even a fairly young kid 10 years and above can push around. keep in mind adult supervision always recommended when a stroller is not manned by an adult.
With this stroller, parents can have an easy and less cumbersome public transportation and have fun outdoors.
The Disney Umbrella Stroller is a good choice for children who are not able to sit upright on their own. It makes it possible for babies to have deep and comfortable sleep within it and makes it easy for the mother to carry them around.
Some of the best features of the Disney Umbrella Stroller below;
- Very Comfortable: The main thing that a parent will look for when getting an umbrella stroller for the baby is his/her comfort. The Disney Umbrella Stroller with Canopy gives maximum comfort to the baby.
- It is made of a wide fabric that makes this happen. It is a close in short and a breeze to open. You can have a great time when the baby is comfortably asleep.
- Lightweight: Portability is paramount, and Disney Umbrella Stroller is not left behind. It is light and small, and you can take it anywhere you like. It is easy to assemble, fold and unfold. You can use it in the outdoors and also in the indoors. It does not take a lot of space in the car and also in storage.
- Canopy: The canopy helps when there is the sun and it protects the toddler’s eyes from the light. The fabric used to make the canopy is classic. The canopy is removable, and thus you can take it off when you do not need it. You can also use the canopy as a holder when you are not using it.
- Wheels: These strollers have one of the best set of wheels. Getting a stroller with bad wheels can give you a hard time. The rear wheels have two breaks for packing. They are also durable and steady, and you are at peace after packing. The front wheels can maneuver quite easily.
- Brakes: The parking brakes of the Disney Umbrella Stroller are on the wheels and not on the handlebar. The wheel becomes firm as soon as put the break on it.
- 3 Point Harness: This harness system ensures that the stroller is safe for the toddler. It helps when moving and the stroller has no problem even when moving on gravelly and bumpy roads.
4. Chico Capri Lightweight Stroller Review – Every Day Cheap Stroller
This umbrella stroller is of high quality compared to the many strollers in the market within the same price range. It is lightweight at just 11 pounds.
The stroller is made in USA and easy to carry around. The stroller has been around for some time now and with a few version modifications. Chico Capri Lightweight Stroller makes a nice travel companion or quick trips. The storage area underneath the stroller is big enough for personal items such as cups, jacket etc.
Some of the key features of the Chico Capri Lightweight Stroller below;
- Lightweight: The stroller weighs 11 pounds. It is made of aluminum which is not only used because of its light weight but also because of its durability. With this weight, it has a capacity of 37 pounds.
- Storage Basket: Storage basket is enough to hold a decent amount of luggage. Though not the biggest storage on strollers reviewed on this list.
- Recline-able Seat: This stroller can be reclined in two positions. The mechanism of reclining the stroller is dependent on the two zippers.
- Simple Folding Mechanism: The mechanism for folding the stroller is straightforward. Release the safety lever using your foot and use your hands to fold the stroller.
- Color: The umbrella stroller comes in two color options which are tangerine and black. You can take the tangerine for the baby girl and black for a boy.
- Canopy: The Chico Capri Lightweight Stroller comes with a canopy that protects the baby from the sun. The parent is therefore comfortable to maneuver with the baby even on sunny days.
- Shoulder Strap: The umbrella stroller has a shoulder strap that makes transportation much easier. On top of this, the Chico Capri Lightweight Stroller comes with a carry bag which helps to store the stroller more neatly.
- Suspension: The Chico Capri Lightweight Stroller has a suspension on its front side. This suspension takes the pressure when you pass through rough terrain and uneven roads. The suspensions prevent your hands and the baby from feeling the effect of bumpy terrains.
- Great Design: The stroller is designed in Italy and made in the USA. The umbrella stroller design is simple and classy. It has a removable basket where you can keep some extra clothes.
- 5 Point Harness: The stroller has a harness system of 5-points that are easy to use. The 5 point harness assures you more security to the baby compared to strollers with 3 point harness.
- Back Wheels have 2 Brakes: Many people looking for strollers these days prefer to have one with two brakes. This ensures that the stroller is stationary on a sloped surface or a hill.
5. Mountain Buggy Nano Stroller Review – Best for Frequent Travelers
The Mountain Buggy Nano Stroller was designed with the frequent traveler in mind. And as the name implies “nano” it is intended to be quite small/portable.
It is compact, light and can be turned to a travel system. The stroller can handle a car seat and an also fit in the airplane overhead luggage compartment.
Mountain Buggy Nano stroller is a good deal stroller for going to the doctor’s office, grocery store, malls and also for public transit. The small wheels and ideal for quick getup and move trips.
A great recommendation as backup stroller.
Some of the best features of the Mountain Buggy Nano Stroller below;
- Roomy Seat: The seat is wide enough to accommodate a baby from 6 months or 44lbs. The strap recline ensures that it does not go to a flat position.
- Adjustable Leg Rest: The strollers’ leg rest is adjustable, and it gives a child room to stretch their legs. This increases the comfort of the child.
- Rear Wheel Suspension: Having suspension on wheels is a great feature for any stroller to have. It helps to absorb the shock when you happen to walk through a rough road.
- Canopy: The canopy of the stroller is a little small, but it is okay. There is a mesh window between the canopy and the seat that you can use to see the baby. The canopy is long enough to give room even for the tallest child.
- Large Window Mesh: The umbrella stroller has a large window mesh between the back seat and the canopy. Mesh window helps in the circulation of air in hot summers. The downside of this is that the mesh has no cover probably exposing the baby to some extra cold during the cold seasons.
- Medium Size Basket: This is a great feature for any lightweight stroller. Due to the design of the frame, you will be able to access the storage basket only from the front.
- Runaway Strap: The handle bar has a safety strap attached to it that prevents the stroller from running away if you let go the handle by mistake.
- 3 Point Harness: Mountain Buggy Nano Stroller has a 3- point harness that is adjustable with a center buckle. You unlock the buck by pressing the side and middle button at the same time.
- Friendly Flip-Flop Brakes: The breaks in this umbrella stroller are quite friendly. The blue locks are used to release the rear wheels while the red locks are used to lock them up.
Do not let information overload prevent you from choosing the best stroller for both you and the kid. First look at the features of the umbrella stroller. See if they provide the baby with safety comfort and utmost care. Consider the materials used to make the stroller and how durable they are.
You want to buy something that will help you bring up all your children. They should also be stable and assure you of the baby safety.
We understand that parents are busy people and they want something that will fold and unfold rather quickly. The stroller should be easy and quick to fold and unfold. Look at the strollers dimension and see if it will fit in your car. Weight is also paramount to consider. You need something that is easily portable.
When you have all these ideas in mind, then it will be easy buy the right umbrella stroller. The umbrella strollers discussed above are some of the best in the market. Get a stroller that fits both your budget and your needs.
Is an Umbrella Stroller Right for You?
Every busy mom and dad needs a stroller of some type and there are numerous options available. Umbrella strollers have been the go to stroller since the 1970’s for good reason. The design revolutionized the stroller from cumbersome and heavy to user friendly and efficient. Nevertheless, is an Umbrella stroller the right choice for you?
When choosing a stroller you will need to consider your needs and your baby. If you are a mom on the go, getting in and out of your car, hoping on and off public transportation, then an umbrella stroller is probably the right choice for you. Additionally, newer umbrella strollers are not lacking in features, so you won’t have to give up baby’s comfort for your convenience.
The umbrella stroller is a great option for hectic days. Many moms have days full of play dates, household chores including grocery shopping; many times these tasks are on top of a full day of work. If you have spent the afternoon busy with the baby, having a stroller in the car enables you to continue to run errands while your baby is sleeping.
An umbrella stroller is ideal for this type of use, as it will fit easily in the car because it is light and portable. While other strollers such as a standard stroller will take up half your trunk, and is heavy to lift in and out of the car making it less likely, that you will pull it out to use.
Many moms choose a jogging stroller as one of their strollers. Though this stroller is good at letting you run at full speed, it is bulky, and heavy. These two features make it ideal for jogging, but make it undesirable for a daily stroller option.
For the last 45 years, the umbrella stroller has been one of the top rated baby strollers. One of the reasons for this is the versatility of the stroller. Unlike other strollers that are designed for a single purpose, umbrella strollers are designed with utility in mind, making them useful for the modern mom.
How to Choose Your Ideal Umbrella Stroller
As a mom many times you fill like you need a third arm, a stroller can help with this that or make it worse. However, the stroller that will fit one mom’s needs might be a disaster for another. Before you start your stroller search, sit down and really consider where you will be taking the stroller and how you will be using the stroller. Once you know what you are going to do with your stroller you will want to focus on a number of necessary features and a couple recommended options.
Features like weight of the stroller and size are going to be concerns for moms lifting the stroller frequently. Additionally, ease of use will be a big priority this ranges from initial set up to daily operation. You will also want to look at maneuverability, wheels, and shock absorption. No mom can forget safety features such as brakes, seat belts, and covers. Finally, you will want to look at storage, comfort, and add-ons for baby such as trays and toys.
Weight and Size
The weight of umbrella strollers can range from 8 to 18 pounds, the lighter the stroll the less features it will have; but an ultra-light weight versions might be your perfect stroller. The key is to find the balance, between weight and feature.
For example, if you know that your baby is going to be in the stroller for the day. You are going to need a place to put everything from shopping finds to an extra diaper bag. Then storage is going to be a large factor that will add weight; but without which the stroller will be a hassle. As you have to try to carry bags while using it.
However, if you have a 14-pound stroller that you are going to have to get on and off the bus, getting your little one to the baby sitter, then the weight will just be too much. So go to the store pick a couple up, to see how much 8 or 18 pounds weights and which end is closer to meeting your needs.
You will also want to consider the size of the stroller both while in use, and for storage. If you know, you are going to be on crowded city streets a smaller stroller might be your best options. Additionally, how big the stroller is when it folds down could be key, if you are storing it in the car, or taking it on a plane.
Ease of Use
You found a couple strollers that are the right size and weight. Now, you will want to look out how easy they are to use. If you can’t put the thing together without an engineering degree, the stroller might not be your best choice. Another issue relating to use, is how easily the stroller folds down for storage, and how easy it is to open. You will want to look at the folding mechanism.
Can it be operated one handed? Does it self-stand? Does it automatically lock into an open position? These are just some of the questions you will want to look at when considering the different folding mechanisms.
Also, dealing with ease of use is maneuverability. A number of features that will make a stroller more or less maneuverable, but the wheels are the main thing to look at. Strollers today have a number of wheel configurations, from a three-wheel tri-cycle to, an eight wheel models on swivels. However, the lightest umbrella strollers will have a basic fixed four-wheel design.
This is not the optimal option, and many moms complain about them veering off course and being hard to steer. A better four-wheel design is two front swivel wheels and two fixed back wheels this is a much better option but can still have some stability issues when being used on uneven surfaces. This is just another reason to know how and where you plan to use your stroller.
When looking for a new stroller there are a couple key features you will want to look at. The First is brakes. The second is seat-belts. The third is umbrella covers.
The brakes on most strollers are very similar. However, you may find two different styles. The First and most common are individual wheel locks. With this braking system, you will have to lock each wheel sometimes just the back two but other times all four. The other newer braking system is a one-touch system, where with one button you lock all the brakes and with the other button, you unlock the brake. This style of brakes is newer, but this is off set with ease of use.
The seat belt that you need will vary based on age of your child. For the youngest children it is recommended that you have a five-point harness to keep the baby from falling out of the stroller. For younger but not walking children a three-point harness is recommended. The final type of seat belt is a simple lap belt, which is only recommended for older children,
The umbrella is a safety feature that protects your baby from the sun or rain. Depending on your climate, you will need to consider the size and material of the umbrella. Many lightweight umbrella strollers are now offering umbrellas that have view windows, have netting and other features. You may want to balance how much protection you want and how much weight it is worth.
These are key safety features you will want to consider. However, another safety feature you want to consider is the construction of the stroller. Though most strollers are made from aluminum or other lightweight metal, a few are made from plastic. Again, you will need to consider durability vs. weight.
You may want to factor in replacement cost for cheaply made strollers. So spending a little more on a stroller the first time, will give you a better chance of have a safer longer lasting stroller. Again, it will be about weighting your needs.
Optional Features of Umbrella Stroller
These optional features are going to be what narrows your search down from 10 to the best umbrella stroller for you. There are a number of features to choose from. However, your first decision on getting a super lightweight or a lightweight umbrella stroller will have already narrowed this field.
The super lightweight strollers are going to be the minimalist dream. Some of the newer models collapse down so they can be carried in a pouch, over your shoulder. Some even will have a small storage pocket. When you take the leap to a lightweight umbrella stroller the number of features starts to multiple.
From seats that recline, to adjustable footrests, and cup holders, these features had comfort for your baby. They also make the stroller more versatile. Additional features include storage, one touch folding, and standalone abilities.
When choosing the best stroller you will also want to consider two other factors that are unrelated to the stroller. The first is how often you are going to use the stroller. Is this going to be your go to every day stroller, or is it a backup, one you are planning on taking on a trip, or to grandma’s house.
The second is your budget. Strollers like cars, have a number of price points from your Toyota to your BMW. Therefore, you will need to consider your budget when making this decision.